Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Take me back....


Just had a weird reminiscent moment. My first car was a 1988 gray Subaru coupe (above...a strong likeness). Her name was "The Blur" and I loved her. She was my ticket to freedom. My parents purchased her from a Dentist in our ward for probably $1500. She smelled of oil, anti-freeze and peach pine tree air freshener. She rattled on the freeway (when Tyler tricked me into getting on the 215) and the back seat wore a blanket to hide the tears. I couldn't afford to fix the flat tire so inevitably, I had to pump up the tire anytime I went somewhere and hoped it held the air long enough to either 1) get me to a gas station with free air or 2) back home to the air compressor.
I was driving down 7200 South today, a/c blasting, radio on and Mc nodding off in the back. It brought my back to the summer of 1999. I was a Junior in high school. I could feel my back, sweaty and sticking to the back of the seat and the radio blaring- probably STYX. The windows were rolled down, my hair sticking in my chapstick as it whipped from the breeze. I felt so important. So grown up. I felt cool- I was driving a rusty, stinky car but it didn't matter as long as everyone around could hear my stereo and I had some place to go.
Now, 11 years later, I have a brand new car, a car seat in the back and an IPOD. I don't feel so "cool" or as "free"..something about those summers in a heap-o-junk car that make summers never feel the same. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my 2009 car with a/c for anything but I firmly believe that Subaru built a huge piece of my character. Just saying.

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

And you were so happy to have that car! It is nice driving a car you don't have to worry about so much! -Jen

Amy said...

I remember going to thhe store for fun! What is fun about going to walmart? It must have been the fact that I could just pick up and go by myself.

Wendy said...

Glad you really enjoyed that hunk of junk. That's the first time I've heard so much positive about that car! Memories are priceless!

Natalie said...

A Ford Tempo was my ticket to freedom. Somehow, cruisin' in the minivan doesn't give me that same free feeling, but I do still sing at the top of my lungs while driving, to which my kids reply, "Mom, you're so embarrassing."