Wal-Mart at its best, is still not the model for prestige or
etiquette. I head out Monday for the usual grocery shopping torture. I am waiting in line, cart full to the brim and then I hear it, "are you close to being due?". This elderly woman behind me (buying nothing but
cat food and Diet Coke),
obviously felt the need to make a human connection and that was the best conversation starter she could think of. With three months left to go, I know that my belly is rather large this time around. I am quite fond of it and like that I now LOOK pregnant but come on people- how about, "did you hear the new Florence + the machine track" or even, "did you see the price on the Roma tomatoes?". Oh well. I responded (as best I could with what breath I could muster after lifting my water out of my cart), "nope. I have three months left to go". From there, she really didn't know what to say. I am sure she was thinking "Do I, A) respond how small you look for being 6 months pregnant or B) sympathize with how HUGE you are being only 6 months pregnant". Bless her heart, she just smiled and finished unloading the Fancy Feast Shrimp dinners from her cart. I took that as, you are showered, your shirt covers the underside of your belly and your toenails are painted- I stood out like a sore thumb.
4 comments:
Oh, come on! You're not huge. And besides, old, senile cat women don't remember the size of ripe, pregnant belly. I, at 29 years, do my best to block those memories.
I can't tell you how many times I got that and how many times I wanted to punch someone in the face. Instead, I smiled and responded in exactly the same way you did. And I've seen your "belly" pic. You're so not large at all!
Be thankful you can have babies...others are not quite so lucky. In other words, be thankful in all things! This too shall come to pass.
haha I know how you feel :) your pregnant belly is cute!! (i had someone ask me if i was 8 months pregnant and i was only 12 weeks. as expected i am already measuring a month ahead)
mckinley is so cute, and growing up so fast!!
Post a Comment