Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Boston- the history.

Having lived in Utah most of my life, six years in Arizona, and not having traveled to many states, Boston held something magical being the birthplace of our country. The coolest thing was being surrounded by "Old Boston" and "New Boston". There was city and then you walked a few steps to a church that was built in 1690.
The statue, that is Samuel Adams. Yes, the man famous for beer. What we didn't know, the man on the beer bottle, that isn't Sam Adams. That my friends is Paul Revere. Apparently, Samuel Adams wasn't much of a looker and unfortunate as he was, had palsy. That didn't make for good advertising, or good statues so, this isn't' really what he looked like. Most of the paintings aren't super accurate either. I guess that was a bonus, if you had qualities you didn't like, have the painter leave them out or commission someone else that looked better to stand in.
This is Mark and I in front of the "old" Statehouse (not to be confused with the "new" statehouse in coming posts). Right where we are standing is the place where the Boston Massacre began. We also learned that really, that whole thing was a big misunderstanding. Notice the lion and the unicorn on top, this was a building built for the King of England on a street once called "King Street" but since our freedom, changed to "State Street". Queen Elizabeth has looked over the balcony and also many of our Founding Fathers.

This was really going to be in the "sites" post for Boston but it is history AND a site so I added it here. Most nights, we were close enough to walk to lots of cool old streets. One night in particular we decided to hit the streets on Beacon Hill. While walking, a local who lived in these magnificent homes, pointed right behind us to this house. This, is Sen. Kerry's, Boston home. I guess he is only there about 10 days out of the year but what we didn't know, this used to be a church. Sen Kerry lives in what used to be the nunnery (coincidence?).

To the left, Acorn Street. The same local told us about this street or we would have never found it. Made famous for being in movies but also, the original cobblestone streets. Side note, the people that live in these homes pay for the parking spot in front of their homes-$80-$100K and you have to shovel your own snow.

"May the youth of today when they visit this old house be inspired with the patriotism of Paul Revere". A plaque outside a graveyard that is smack dab in downtown Boston. The biggest headstone in the joint (the one that our tour guide said was quite "phallic") belonged to John Hancock. Paul Revere who was a humble man...opted for the small one with the flag.






George Washington on his noble steed. This was the statue in the Boston Common. Just picturesque with the city in the background. Actually quite a reputable president.


The USS Constitution. This the oldest commissioned Naval boat in the world. I believe, the tour guide said this ship has had 300 victories. It was huge but I couldn't imagine living on this with hundreds of other people.


The history of our country was humbling. We saw so much and highly recommend NOT paying to walk the Freedom Trail. Just look for the dudes in pirate costumes or red coats and follow them :) Next post- the sites of Boston.

3 comments:

Jonny and Brittany said...

What a fun trip girlie!!! Jonny went there for the first time a few months back and I was SO jealous I couldn't go with!!!I am loving seeing all your updates and fun pictures...the food looks especially delicious!

allison wright said...

I am so glad you had a great time and so glad you broke you posts up. I am looking forward to the sites post. I think a bbq would be perfect. We can do it at my house. I can get more chairs and such. We can play croquet or horseshoes or something. I will text you to get a good day and we will get it planned!

Natalie said...

This makes me so jealous. Bri and I are big history buffs, and this sounds like our kind of vacation. Oh to have money to travel...instead I get to buy school clothes.