Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Mystery Castle

G and Chris (Mark's dad and Step Mom) are in town from Utah this weekend. So many visitors, we are truly blessed! Yesterday was Mckinley's first big outing- oh the stories, considering we took her to a place we refer to as "the Junk House".

Mark and I discovered this gem of a landmark a few years ago and took my grandparents there. G wanted to go and see the Frank Lloyd Wright house..alas, I couldn't part with the $32 PER PERSON price tag to tour a house with a triangular swimming pool. The $5 admission fee for the Mystery Castle was far more appealing so that is where we went. We put Mckinley in the snuggly- Mark carried her papoose style on his chest and after she ate...she slept the rest of the time.

For those of you that don't know what the Mystery Castle is...basically a dude built this house all out of recycled stuff for his daughter, who still lives there, and hid all this stuff under a trapped door for them to open in 1945- they opened it and found all this money. The last time we went she was up in her room so we didn't get to meet her...this time she was up and about and thought Mckinley was an angel from heaven...loved her! This site gives a little more information and more pictures...funny enough Mr. Gulley who built the Mystery Castle put in 13 fireplaces and one of them is in a room where people used to get married. Pretty cool. Read more here: http://phoenix.about.com/od/attractionsandevents/ss/mysterycastle.htm

Here is Mary Lou Gulley

Here are some pics of the castle-



We had a fun and Mckinley was pretty well behaved :) G and Chris leave tomorrow and Mark and I are going to start our food storage. I think that is my new quest. We have been really bad at it...up until now we can barely survive a week on what we buy. My first purchase was some Quick Oats..not much but better than nothing. Off to another week!
PS- Thanks. a. million. We have gotten so many calls from friends and family about Mark getting laid off. We are so grateful. We are too blessed! Thanks for the support and love!

7 comments:

Trevor, Brianna, Alivia, Tayvree, and Avynlee Hansen said...

Hey Tisha! Sorry that Mark got laid off :( Sounds like your little baby is a sweetheart!! hope you are well! love ya!! miss ya tons!! seriously, you rock!

Jess and Jen said...

What? A post with pictures and none of them are of your baby girl? It's been awhile and I'm sure she's changed enough to warrant more pics! the Junk House looks like a cool place to visit!

The Mattson's said...

That's crazy. That would be cool to see. We are having another boy!!! we are very excited. Hey can i add you to my blog?

Paul or Lindsay said...

Totally rad. Glad the snuggly worked out for you.

Spencer said...

Hey, where is the Junk House? I've been here for over three years, and have never heard of it.

Amy said...

I think if you left Mark alone long enough with enough random stuff he would build something like that for Mckinley.

The Rocking Radmalls said...

Seriously? I may have to put that castle on the list of things to see before I die. Kind of cool.

We love Mark and think he married an awesome wife! You guys are a great family and we know you will definitely come through this trial stronger. Let us know what direction you guys want to go, and if it includes north, I'll have Chad put out his feelers. (that sounds wrong) I will contact you if anything comes up.