Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blessing in Disguise?

So, the day we have been dreading has finally arrived....no, I am not referring to the President that was just elected, I am referring to Mark being laid off. We have been anticipating layoffs since August and have crossed our fingers and prayed since. He made it through a few rounds but the hammer fell today. I had just dropped Mark's mom off at the airport (side note it was marvelous to have her here!!) and had made a stop at Hobby Lobby, the first real outing with Mckinley since she is 3 weeks tomorrow, Mark calls and says:
Mark- "Where are you?"
Me-"Hobby Lobby. Why?"
Mark- "Well, make sure you don't buy anything I just got laid off."
Me-"No way."
Mark- "Yep."

In typical "don't get worked up Mark fashion" he says we will be fine and it will all work out. I believe we will be ok. The Lord has blessed us so much and this might be a trial (horrible timing but it wouldn't be a trial if it wasn't), but I know we will be fine. Mark has lots of skills; computer hacking skills, nunchuck skills, bowstaff skills and he can grow a goatee. No seriously, he has lots of things to offer and will make sure he provides no matter what. He is hard worker and we will make it!

"NOT WHAT WE SAY ABOUT OUR BLESSINGS, BUT HOW WE USE THEM, IS THE MEASURE OF OUR THANKSGIVING."
-W.T.PURKISER

16 comments:

Michelle said...

Bummer to hear you guys!!! With an attitude and faith like you guys things will work out for ya. The Lord provides a way for his faithful and strong!! PLEASE let me know if I can do anything!!

Jess and Jen said...

Oh, I'm sorry! Hopefully something else will come his way...and soon!

Jen

Carter Family said...

That really stinks. At least he was able to hold on for awhile. Mark is an awesome guy and I am sure that he will be able to find something soon.

Amanda Stephens said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Stephens said...

I am so very sorry. It will all work out, and in the meantime what a huge blessing that you still have a job. Doug is really disappointed that Mark will not be there, as am I. We love you both and are really praying for your family. I love you!!!

Tom and Joanne Asburry said...

We think Mark should get into modeling!
Tom and Joanne

NR said...

Good luck with the job hunt. I have been through it before, and let me make two suggestions: 1) spend some time thinking about the things you love to do, but never can during business hours because you're working. They don't have to be costly things -- but it really takes some concentration to figure them out, because your mind automatically rules them out.

Avoid checking the job websites (Monster, etc.) every day. I found that Tuesday and Thursday were good days to check, because things you look at on Tuesday won't be too stale after the weekend, and things you look at on Thursday you can still set in motion before the weekend. Checking every day eventually just makes you crazy and feel desperate - - new jobs don't get posted each and every day. You don't want to just get discouraged by, in effect, "sitting by the phone."

So, have a (cheap!) life while you're waiting for that next job.

*The Thomas 3* said...

So does this mean that Mark is now coming home to work on the house? I want you guys to come home! You guys are tough! If you need anything (not that I think I can do a whole lot) let us know! We'd love to help any way we can!

Amy said...

That stinks. We will keep you in our prayers. Dave just barely made it through a round of layoffs at his office. It is a tricky time but thankfully Mark is good at a million things and the hardest worker I know. We love you.

Cossebooms said...

I am so sorry to hear that!! Things are so crazy right now, I think everyone is a little on edge. We will keep you guys in our prayers and something will come along. They did mention one time at an Elders Quorum meeting that he could be a school bus driver. It's worth a shot until something really good came along.

The Balls said...

I am so sorry! Things will get better. It is times like this that sometimes make it hard for us to recognize our blessings. Mark does have some awesome skills, especially that goat growing! :)

Becci said...

Hi guys. Mckinley is so very precious. I wish I could come see her. Sorry to hear about Mark. We love you guys and you're in our prayers.

:) Becci

Sunni said...

I'm sad to hear about Mark's job. Hang in there and we will pray for you, and of course you know that things always happen for a reason. OXOXOX

Wendy said...

Of course it's a blessing...just think: Mark gets to play Mr. Mom more often(since he's so good at it) you get to spend a little more time together with Big Mac and you get to come home for longer over the holidays! What could be more of a gift right now. And in the future Mark will definitely find work because he is "the greatest"! We love you and are here to help anytime!! XOXO Mimi

Paul or Lindsay said...

Sorry you guys. I second Amy's comment. Mark is the hardest worker I know and I know it will work out.

walkerbunch said...

Mark and Tish,
I'm sorry to hear your news. Aaron just got laid off about a month ago. I picked up a second job, and I know it's tough. All things happen for a reason. -I bet he'll find a job that's even better. Hang in there.