Last night a group of ladies and I talked about some of the harsh realities of motherhood. It was funny, we all kind of agreed it was hard to read those blogs about perfect moms with perfect kids that craft, bake and never leave the house in sweatpants. If you came for that here, keep on moving.
I recently started following this chick on instagram. She coordinates cheetah print with chevron and it works, her house is decorated like a darling French Villa, she owns a small business, her kids are darling little cherubs, she can rock a pixie cut, and she gets at least 317 likes on each picture she posts. How is it fair that one person gets it all? How can one person have each divine quality that I struggle to maintain even one?
Revelation comes in interesting ways. What I thought to be perfection really isn't so. We really all feel inadequate. We all find our children to be "inconveniences" at some point or another. We go bra less. That pinterest craft that we thought was awesome was a complete failure. We let our kids eat fruit snacks and a sucker for breakfast. But in the end life moves on.
I guess this week has just been a particularly rough one. Mckinley is completely irrational and is really pushing the boundaries with listening. She no longer sleeps in her bed but is crashed out on the couch almost every morning. Kingston is entering the terrible twos which we all knows leads to the awful threes and even-worse fours. My calling stresses me out. I never feel like I do enough. My cuticles are paying the price. My playroom smells like pee. I feel the frump from not being able to run and eating WAY too much crap. I can't sleep. I feel pressure and stress from my job. I still have to clean. Cook. Grocery shop. And all of this compounded with coming off almost two weeks of the flu for the whole Williamson house.
Epiphany. In the end it's all about expectations. What do I expect from my four year old-who is just that FOUR? What do I expect from myself as a full time, working mom? What do I expect my house to look like after two young kids with WAY too many toys have been playing all day? What am I expecting when I try to brave Target with two small kids and spend too much time perusing the clothes? How do I expect to feel when I stay up way too late watching Teen Mom & Project Runway?
Ultimately- this anxiety is totally self inflicted. It's about controlling the controllables. I can choose to be happy with this chaos called life. I can choose to let the mess, the naked 4 year old and the never ending explosion known as the toy room define my life OR I can add it all up, file it away and remember that someday it will all be a distant memory and hopefully, my kids will think their lives growing up were almost perfect. almost.
Seven Minutes
1 day ago
8 comments:
You are a great mom!! And we all have our hard times, you know you've heard me cry about them many times. We all have to realize we just have to let some things go sometimes. The house may look like a bomb, but the kids are happy and playing. You do have a lot on your plate, but you'll find a good balance. It is hard, but we are grateful for these people we call our family. Miss ya!
Well said Tisha! I have realized over the years that I am a much happier person when I can let the little things slide. And I don't know what it's like to be a perfectionist (you might have to fill me in on that feeling sometime...) but I think I'm much happier with a dirty house and reading books to my kids at bedtime instead. Oh man I love when they are all asleep though...
Keep up the amazing work- your kids and hubby are lucky to have you!
Ok. I think we all come to this realization at some point. Mine was after baby #3 when I called Shelley crying after a very unsuccessful grocery trip and said, "I really want to be that mom who has 5 or 6 kids, a clean home, bakes meals every night, runs a half marathon twice a year, can craft and decorate, is the PTA president, has perfectly coifed kids, and never loses her cool!!" To which she replied with, "She doesn't exist." And I know now that she really doesn't. I think all moms struggle at some aspect of motherhood, not in the same way, but we all struggle. The sooner we realize that and start trying to build each other up instead of compare, the better off all involved will be. Embrace the crazy!
Loved this post. Hang in there! And if you need to call and rant, you have my number!! (I'm always looking for new people to bug on the phone...my standard people get tired of me and my lonely Delaware self!)
Well, I had a 20 minute yelling fit(to put it nicely) at the kids earlier this week; seriously not my proudest moment as a mom. Turns out momhood is hard, and so are kids, and work, and being President of an organization, and the rest of madness we call life. You do it all wonderfully and I'm amazed by your juggling abilities.
***And, Ricks, your "standard" peeps never tire of your lonely Delaware self.
Thanks for making me cry. It's better for us to experience the negative so we can more fully enjoy the good times and positives! Without the negative there would be no knowledge of the positive. The Lord knows each of us and our struggles and as you list all of the things you do, I know you don't/can't do that all alone, not without His help. That's what this life is all about... learning, growing, experiencing, messing up, struggling and overcoming! I love you! There are so many people that love you! Life's a garden, dig it! Keep truckin'!
Life is hard. Just remember when yours is getting to you that someone else would gladly trade you shoes anytime. You have a special calling in life, I've always known that about you and the Lord only gives you what He KNOWS you can handle!! Love ya much xoxo
Such a good post. Glad that I'm not alone! :)
Last night I was telling Brian that I don't know why I was chosen to raise 2 particularly difficult children. After reading your post, I think I need to focus on the good things I'm doing and not the mistakes. We're all just doing the best we can and taking it one day at a time. As I sit here in my sweats and having not taken a shower, I think, "Eh. Life's good." Thanks for the reminder.
Post a Comment